top of page
  • Writer's picturethecbsltd




Running a business, you will incur expenses which if an allowable expense can be deducted from revenue income to work out your taxable profit. Personal drawings from the business are not an allowable expense.

There are different rules if you run a limited company.

The following are allowable expenses you can claim costs

· Office costs

– postage, printing, printer ink and cartridges, stationary, phone, mobile, fax and internet bills. Computer software your business uses for less than 2 years. Computer software if used for 2 years or more but paid via regular payments for the licence.

Computers or printers are allowable under cash basis accounting, as capital allowances under traditional accounting

Not allowable

Any non-business use of premises, phones or other office resources.

· Travel costs

– vehicle insurance and licence fees, repairs and servicing, breakdown cover, fuel, parking, hire charges, train, bus, air and taxi fares. Hotel rooms, meals on overnight business trips

Not allowable

Non-business driving or travel cost, fines, travel between home and work

· Clothing Expenses

– uniforms, protective clothing required in your work. Costumes for actors or entertainers.

Not allowable

Everyday clothing (even if worn for work)

· Staff costs

– salaries or subcontractor costs, bonuses, pensions, benefits, agency fees, employers National Insurance.

Not allowable

Carers or domestic help

· Thing you buy to sell on

– stock or raw materials, direct costs from producing goods.

Not allowable

Any goods or materials purchased for private use. Depreciation of equipment

· Financial costs

– Accountancy, legal plus other professional fees. Insurance, bank and credit card charges, interest on bank and business loans, hire purchase interest, leasing payments, alternative finance payments

Not allowable

Legal costs of buying property and machinery

Fines for breaking the law

· Running costs of your business premises

– heating, lighting, water, business rates, business premises rent, property insurance, security. If work from home only the part used for business office.

So, if your home consists of 4 rooms and you use one as an office, your electricity bill for the year is £400 divide this by 4 meaning you can claim £100 if you work only 1 day a week then divide £100 by 7 giving an allowable expense of £14.29.

Repairs and maintenance of business premises and equipment.

To install or replace equipment is allowable expense under cash basis accounting, as capital allowances under traditional accounting

Not allowable

Expenses or allowances for buying building premises

· Advertising or marketing

– website costs, business cards, adverts in newspapers or directories, bulk mail advertising, free samples

Not allowable

Entertaining clients, suppliers and customers, event hospitality

· Subscriptions

– trade or professional journals, trade body or professional organisation membership if business related

Not allowable

Political party payments, gym membership fees, donations to charity but you may be able to claim for sponsorship payments

Sponsoring a charity

Charity sponsorship payments are different from donations because your company gets something related to the business in return.

You can deduct sponsorship payments from your business profits before you pay tax by treating them as business expenses.

What qualifies

Payments qualify as business expenses if the charity:

o publicity supports your products or services

o allows you to use their logo in your own printed material

o allows you to sell your goods or services at their event or premises

o links from their website to yours

If you’re unsure whether a charity payment qualifies as a sponsorship payment or a donation, contact the charities helpline.

· Costs of training courses

– related to your business i.e. refresher courses

Not allowable

Start a new business, expand into new areas of business, including anything related to your current business

If you are using the £1000 tax-free ‘trading allowance’ you are unable to claim expenses.


This is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 in a tax year for individuals with trading income from:

· Self-employment

· Casual services, e.g. babysitting, gardening

· Hiring personal equipment, e.g. power tools

For those with an annual gross income of £1,000 or less from the above categories there is no need to advise HMRC, unless:

· You are unable to use the allowances

· You must register for Self-assessment and declare your income on a tax return

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page